The intent of our Modern Foreign Languages Curriculum is to:
- Develop an interest in learning other languages.
- Introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating.
- Encourage children’s confidence and creative skills through the exploration of another language.
- Stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language.
- Help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries.
- Develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Lay the foundations for future language learning.
The implementation of our Modern Foreign Languages Curriculum:
- Spanish is taught across the school once a week during Carousel by our specialist languages teacher.
- The Spanish scheme of work, developed by the subject coordinator, promotes culture, diversity and inclusivity.
- Each skill and topic is revisited in different year groups to allow the children to build upon their prior knowledge and to recognise their own progression through a growth mindset
- Where possible, links are made to other subjects to embed the learning and through access to a range of texts at different times of the year.
The intended impact of our Modern Foreign Languages Curriculum is that:
By the end of KS2, our children will be able to understand and respond to spoken and written language. They will be able to speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity. They should have the skills to write using a variety of grammatical structures. Children will have developed their awareness of cultural differences in other countries. They will have gained the key foundations to support future language learning.
Mrs Harvey is our Modern Foreign Languages Subject Leader.